I took on one of my largest projects yet this past week, which is why it’s been so quiet on the blog lately. My mom talked me into recovering her sunroom furniture, which included THIRTEEN cushions, but who’s counting, right?! My fingertips are red and sore from the seemingly hundreds of pin pricks, I accidentally jabbed the seam ripper into the palm of my hand (the entire hook went in, OUCH!), and then I got my finger stuck in the sewing machine and lost some skin (not in the needle, thank goodness!) My mom’s reply “did you get blood on the fabric?!” Thanks for your concern, mom. Let’s just say that staying up until 3 am sewing for hours on end was probably not the best idea. I may have been sleep sewing at one point. I had a very hard deadline for this project because a local magazine came to take photos of my mom’s beautiful house this morning. I had just a few days to work on these cushions, in between work and helping decorate my mom’s house… oh yeah and I ate and slept a little. Only a little. The sunroom couldn’t be seen sans cushions so I scrambled to replace the old faded burgundy and gold fabric.
I am really kicking myself for not getting better before photos of these cushions. So this before shot is all I could scrounge up from the past.
Here’s what I was working with … (Nathan makes a great model, don’t you think?)
Here’s how they turned out!
Old fabric vs. new
I love the colors in the new fabric. It matches my mom’s house perfectly.
The fabric was dated, and extremely faded and worn. We’re hoping the new fabric color will fade less in the sunroom since it’s already a light color. These babies better last a long time because I will tell you this… I hate those cushions now. Considering the tight deadline… “I must have been insane when I agreed to this project” – What I said countless times. But the whole project was only $200 worth of fabric, pretty awesome.
I’ll show you some sewing tips I picked up along the way…
- Disappearing Ink Fabric Marker
- Sailrite is an awesome fabric calculating website. You can see the different options you have to choose from below in the screenshot… (make sure to always add extra fabric for oopses)
- Measuring Tape
- Pins… and probably a thimble!
- Seam Ripper
- Glue Stick
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Fabric of your choice
Let’s Get Started:
I started by taking apart the old fabric covers with a seam ripper so that I could use the panels as templates for the new cushions.
Sewing the Zippers:
I used the fabric marker to mark where to sew… not cut. I used an extra long stitch for basting the two panels together so the stitches would come out easier in the next few steps. I used a glue stick to glue the zippers to the fabric and then ironed them in place. This worked VERY well! Then I sewed the zipper in place and ripped out the basting stitches.
Sewing the Base Cushions:
I used the fabric marker to trace the old fabric panels which gave me my sew line, not cut line.
Sewing Rounded Corners:
Again, I sewed along the fabric marker line…
Sewing the Back Cushions:
For the backs, I sewed the pieces together similarly to the bases, but I slipped the covers on to get an extra good fit by pinning around the cushions. Then I slipped them off and sewed along my fabric marker line.